Search This Blog

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Foods and Feeding





I routinely get 95 % hatches from my Artemia cysts.





I attach the clean sieve to a acrylic fish container using a plastic towel clamp.


The shrimp are drained into the nylon sieve using the airline to to shrimp hatchery.  If I use the valve at the bottom of the hatchery, I get too many hatched egg shells in with the shrimp.



In this photo, all the nauplii a collected.


They are rinsed in clean cold water and transferred to a hang on the tank acrylic specimen container.




Next the hatchery is sterilized using one cup of Chlorox in 5 gallons of water and allowed to bubble for 30 minutes




After refilling the hatchery with five gallons of fresh water I add 2 cups of salt (25 tablespoons), 5 tablespoons of Epsom Salt (MGSO4) and 4 1/2 tablespoons of artemia cysts.